[This post may contain affiliate links. This means that I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you follow one of my links and end up making a purchase.]
Facing a creative block? Missing your muse? In desperate need of some inspiration?
Try this simple yet potent candle spell for creativity. Cast it when you need to summon the muses and receive some creative inspiration.
What is candle magic?
Candle magic can be extremely powerful because it calls upon all four of the magical elements of the universe: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. The wax of the candle represents Earth; the oxygen needed to light the candle and the smoke upon extinguishing the flame represent Air; the flame, of course, represents Fire; and the melting of the wax into liquid represents Water.
So you see, simply lighting a candle is a perfect and complete spell in and of itself.
I love this yellow candle spell, which I adapted from the candle magic principles of Wiccan author and practitioner Scott Cunningham, because it is so damn simple.
What you’ll need:
- a yellow or orange candle
- a candle holder
- matches (preferably) or a lighter
- peppermint or frankincense anointing oil (optional)
Why yellow or orange? Different colored candles mean different things. Yellow represents the element of Air, which rules inspiration and concentration. Orange is for creativity. I think either would work well for this spell. If you don’t have a specific color, white is always a valid substitute.
And why peppermint or frankincense? Different essential oils have different healing powers and are used for various purposes in aromatherapy. Peppermint and frankincense both enhance creativity and inspiration. Any citrus scent would work as an alternative if you don’t have these.
What to do:
1. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths to relax. Let go of distractions and clear your mind.
2. When you are ready, anoint your candle.
- If you are using anointing oils, drop a few drops of the essential oil into your dominant hand. Take the candle in your non-dominant hand and use your dominant hand to rub the oil all over the candle, including the wick.
- If you aren’t using oils, take the candle in your dominant hand and state aloud or think to yourself the purpose of your candle spell.
Anointing the candle infuses it with the purpose of your spell. In this case, it will enhance creative inspiration. When you are done, place the candle into its holder.
3. Again, using your dominant hand, light the candle’s wick and recite the following words three times as you gaze into the flame of the candle:
Inspired mind, awakened be.
Creative muse, come to me.
4. Now, close your eyes and visualize yourself completing your creative project, with inspiration, joy, and ease. Visualize it in vivid detail. Where are you working? What’s around you, and what are you wearing? Imagine your motions and activities in detail. What do you see? Smell? Hear? Taste? How do you feel as your creativity flows effortlessly through you and into your project? Take your time and get lost in this visualization. Enjoy it.
5. When you are done, open your eyes and seal your intention by saying, “So must it be!”
6. Let the candle burn itself out. If you must extinguish the candle for some reason, snuff rather than blow it out. And relight it when you’re ready to continue the spell.
Candles must be used just once for one spell each until they are burnt out.
If you try this candle spell for creativity, let me know how it goes! I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.